While external communications around Covid-19 will be different for each organisation, there are elements that should be considered specifically in relation to digital and social media communication. Our international partner FTI Strategic Communications (03-16-2020) defined 10 reasons why you should reconsider your digital and social media plans now.
TOP 10 CONSIDERATIONS:
1. Review any existing content plans / schedules for posts that may no longer be appropriate, including planned content that might be shared via third party channels or users.
2. Do not promote services that could be linked to the situation or perceived as the company is in any way benefiting from the crisis.
3. Share approved public company updates regarding Coronavirus with an appropriate image and link to more information. Key updates can also be “pinned” to the top of social media profiles.
4. Avoid scheduling tweets more than a few hours in advance, in case of any critical developments that might mean the posts are no longer appropriate.
5. Consider creating a public Frequently Asked Questions page on the company website and sharing the link across social media. Ensure the website is updated as appropriate with latest public information regarding office visits, events or meetings.
6. Internally, consider sharing additional social media guidance for employees, clarifying or reaffirming any restrictions.
7. Increase monitoring of company mentions and ensure any important Coronavirus related questions are addressed as soon as possible. Do not ignore calls for information but also do not commit to sharing updates by any specific deadline.
8. Regularly check peer / competitor social media posting to ensure your digital communication approach is broadly aligned with sector / industry expectations.
9. Consider pausing or limiting paid promotion campaigns that may no longer be appropriate, including any recruitment advertising. If continuing to run paid promotion on social media, be extra-vigilant for questions that need to be answered and consider using paid promotion to reach specific audiences with any urgent or crucial updates.
10. Consider developing or sharing industry relevant resources or guidelines that could help others.
For more consumer-focused social media accounts, additional community management elements would need to be considered as it will be increasingly important to keep customers updated and re-assured.